Tuesday, August 19, 2014

For Mike Brown : Our Son, Brother, Nephew, and Friend Too

J.Cole- "Be Free"

I was riding to work when this song came on and it immediately caught my attention. J.Cole seemed to capture every element of the injustice that was committed on the day that unarmed teen ,Mike Brown, was gunned down by a white police officer in Ferguson,MO. JCole inserted the interview from Mike's friend who happened to be walking with him when this tragedy happened and I immediately began to cry. The emotions that I felt were not foreign but I don't think I have ever experienced anger, sadness,disgust, and grief all at once. The feeling was beyond powerful but I had to pull myself together so that it would not lead to hatred for those that treat us like animals and are inhumane. I started praying as the song was playing and asking God to save us from these kind of people. When I first saw the pictures of his lifeless body laying in the street and a pool of blood trickling down that street from his injuries I felt as if I had lost a brother, son, nephew, and friend as well. Much respect to J.Cole as he gave the listener more than just a powerful heartfelt tribute but he provided LIFE for all those that have been killed unjustly by those that they appoint to protect and serve our communities.

************************************************************************************

"J. Cole released a tribute song in honor of Michael Brown titled “Be Free” last week, and on Sunday (Aug 17), the rapper paid a visit to Ferguson, Missouri to pay his respects to the teen who was shot and killed by a police officer last Saturday.
Accompanied by members of his Dreamville label, Cole stopped by the scene where Brown was killed and spoke to protesters and activists about the civil unrest taking place in the St. Louis suburb.
He also made other stops in the neighborhood, including a visit to the QuickTrip gas station that has been referred to as “ground zero,” where protesters and police have battled, and is not too far from where Brown was gunned down."
Read more: J. Cole Visits Mike Brown Protests in Ferguson After Releasing “Be Free” Tribute Song (gossiponthis.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment